I’m just going to come out and say it: diaper pails are down right nasty. I mean, when you really think about it, a diaper pail is just a one-stop shop for all the smells, moisture, liquid(s), and bacteria soiled cloth diapers exude. This is why it’s especially important to frequently clean and sanitize your diaper pail — just like you would your wet bag.
Cleaning your diaper pail and keeping it clean and odor free is (generally) pretty easy. Since most are made from plastic, steel or aluminum, a quick wipe down with an all-purpose cleaner should get the job done. Better Life’s 2am Miracle, what-EVER Cleaner or Natural Stain & Odor Eliminator are all effective. Plus, all Better Life products are made from natural ingredients so you never have to second guess safety. If you need to fully sanitize your diaper pail, wipe it out with bleach and air it out in the sun. Sounds pretty similar to how you sanitize your cloth diapers, right?
A few additional things to remember when it comes to keeping your diaper pail fresh, include:
– Rinse out your diapers. Seriously. This is, hands down, the most important factor when it comes to keeping your pail clean. Be sure to remove all solid waste from diapers before storage.
– Wash your diapers every other day. This will prevent mold, mildew, stink and other issues.
– Use a vented pail or one with a lid that opens. Leaving the diaper pail lid cracked will allow more air circulation, helping to reduce smells.
– Place a room deodorizer near the diaper pail. If you have a vented pail, Deo-Disks are designed to fit in the slot and provide a refreshing citrus scent.
– Opt for a pail liner stimilar to this. Pail liners are made with waterproof fabric like wet bags, and will keep the “yuck” contained. The good news here is that the “yuck” will never touch the surface of your pail and, when you need to clean it, which we recommend doing often, just toss it in the wash. Keep two on hand so you can rotate.
Have additional questions? Give us a call at 1-314-892-1855.
Comments are closed here.