Cloth diapering your little one from an early age often makes it easy to cloth diaper at night. Many infants don’t sleep through the night early on, so it’s easy to just change your little one’s diaper before a mid-night feeding. Once they get a little older and start sleeping through the night, it an be a bit of a challenge to cloth diaper at night.
If you use bumGenius 4.0 or other pocket style cloth diapers, the first solution is to add extra inserts into the pocket to increase the absorbency of your cloth diaper. A good first step is to use both the one-size insert and the newborn/diaper doubler insert that come with each bumGenius 4.0. However, as your little one eats, drinks and sleeps more, this may not be enough.
Our next step for heavy wetters for overnight is to use a hemp insert. Hemp is a natural fiber that is very absorbent, without adding a lot of bulk. Hemp and other natural fibers are a bit slower to absorb than microfiber, so when adding one of these inserts to your bumGenius 4.0, Freetime or Flip diapers, we suggest adding it underneath the stay dry and microfiber layers. This also helps to wick moisture away from your little one’s skin, preventing rash.
- Hemp Babies Little Weeds are ideal inside for use in one-size cloth diapers that are on a small rise setting, whether a pocket style or an all-in-one like bumGenius Freetime. Little Weeds feature two layers of hemp to ensure that your diapers wash clean easily and dry quickly. This small insert is specifically designed to folds in half for less bulk and four layers of absorbency, making it perfect for smaller cloth diapers.
- Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds are similar to Little Weeds, but specifically designed to be used as an insert in a medium or large diaper or rise setting. Hemp Babies Bigger Weeds fold in thirds for six layers of hemp absorbency.
- Hemp Babies Diaper Doublers are a preshaped insert that is available in two sizes – small or large. Since these are not folded, they are a trimmer choice than the other Hemp Babies inserts. The size and shape of the Hemp Babies Diaper Doublers make them ideal for use with a prefold, all-in-two, or hybrid style of diaper. I used a large Hemp Babies Diaper Doubler underneath a Flip Stay-Dry insert for my toddler for overnight.
- BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey-Bunz are inserts are that were originally designed for use with FuzziBunz, but work great with all other pocket diapers, like bumGenius. Intended to be trim, absorbent and easy to use since no folding is required. They come in three sizes (small, medium and large) to give you a customized fit for your little one, no matter the size of diaper you are using.
- BabyKicks Hemparoo Fleece Prefolds feature two layers of soft 55% hemp/45% cotton fleece, with a third layer in the center. These prefolds are up to any task, from being pinned, folded in thirds in a snug fitting wrap, or as a pocket diaper stuffer.
Cotton is another great, affordable option for adding absorbency overnight. Cotton prefolds can be used inside a cover like Econobum or Flip, or even as an insert inside your favorite pocket diaper. At Cotton Babies, we carry Chinese, Indian and Econobum styles of prefolds that range in price from $1 to $2 each depending on size and style.
With so many great natural fiber inserts to add absorbency to your overnight cloth diapers, you may feel a bit overwhelmed when trying to figure out which one to try first. We are always glad to help if you can call our customer service line at 1-314-892-1855. Our team is available from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Central time Monday through Friday. While on the phone, we’ll ask a few questions about your existing cloth diapers, your little one and their sleep habits to guide you with some personalized suggestions on which inserts may work best for you and your baby. You can also reach us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.