Every now and then, cloth diapers may need a little TLC and you may need to fix the hook & loop or elastic so your stash can last even longer.
Here’s what you need:
- bumGenius Refresher Kit – It includes three new pieces of elastic (back elastic, two legs), new tab closures, new laundry tabs, and sewing instructions.
- Seam ripper
- Needle and thread
- Basic sewing skills
Hook & Loop Tab Replacement
1. Remove the old hook & loop closures with the seam ripper. You don’t have to remove the old laundry tab! You’ll just sew the new one right on top of the old one. Be very careful not to rip the diaper when you’re removing the old tab. Remember, slow and steady wins the race, so apply the same idea when it comes to taking off the old velcro.
2. Sew on the new tab with a needle and thread.
Leg Elastic Replacement
1. bumGenius diapers have convenient access to the leg elastic so all you have to do is pull it out with your finger. For older diapers like bumGenius 3.0s, you will have to make a small cut to the elastic encasing because it is enclosed.
2. Once the elastic has been removed, sew the new elastic onto the old, pull it through, and sew the other end. When you’re finished, clip off the old elastic. This is helpful because it allows you to use the old elastic as a guide. See below.
bumGenius Refresher Kits can also be used on Flip diapers. This process is not too terribly time-consuming, but we recommend doing it when your little one is down for a nap or if you have a few minutes to yourself. You may want to refresh a few cloth diapers at a time so you do not disable your entire stash at once. You never know when a blowout could happen!
For assistance with replacing your hook & loop, feel free to give us a call at 314-892-1855.