Thanksgiving is over, but the “stuffing” isn’t gone! I’m not talking about that delicious side dish your family makes each year around the holidays. Instead, I’m talking about stuffing your cloth diapers!
Depending on the type of cloth diaper you use, you might have to “stuff” it with inserts to make it absorbent. Pocket style diapers, like bumGenius 4.0, need to be stuffed, and I’m going to tell you how to do it! Now, for a seasoned cloth diaper-er, a how-to blog on stuffing your cloth diapers may be trivial, but for a cloth diaper newb, it can be really helpful. When I first started using cloth diapers, I didn’t even know which way to stuff the insert into a bumGenius 4.0.
- Get your cloth diapers and inserts. Having both on hand in the same place at the same time will make things easier. It may be more convenient if you can stuff numerous diapers at once. Doing so will give you extra diapers that are ready to use; all you’ll need to do is put them on your baby.
- Open your diapers so the inside is facing up.
- Set the size of your insert. For one-size inserts, you can snap it to change from small, medium or large. NOTE: It works best when the size of your insert matches the size of your diapers. If you’re on a medium rise setting, your insert should snapped on a medium size setting.
- Stuff your diapers! Open the pocket on the back side of the diaper and stuff in your insert. Always make sure the snap side of your insert is facing down in the diaper. If the snap side faces up in the pocket, it would be closest to your little one’s bum. For girls, you may want to lay the bulk (snap end) of the insert in the back of diaper. For boys, you will want to do just the opposite and tuck the bulk (snap end) toward the front of the diaper.
- Tuck the pocket opening under the flap of the back of the diaper. This is a really important step because it will prevent the insert from bunching or sliding out of the pocket, which could cause leaks.
- Double stuff when needed. If your little one is a heavy wetter or leaks through the night, add an additional insert or doubler to the pocket. Now, double stuffing may not be the trimmest option, as there will be bulk, but it does the job.
- Switch it up! Pocket diapers are versatile and you can essentially stuff them with several types of inserts like hemp, prefolds or flats.
For questions about your cloth diapers, give us a call at 1-314-892-1855.