Using cloth diapers may seem overwhelming if you’ve never done it before. But cloth diapering a newborn, especially if you’re a first time parent, can be even more terrifying.
With every rite of passage in life, like riding a bike or learning how to drive a car, you just need some practice to master the skill. The same can be said about cloth diapering a newborn. Once you get the hang of it, you will become a seasoned vet in no time.
The good news about cloth diapering a newborn is that these tiny widdol babies don’t move around that much. They can’t undo hook and loop closures, pull on snaps, or take off their diapers. You can look forward to that in a year or so. Newborns will need to be changed A LOT. So since they’re not undoing their diapers, know that you will be. All new babies will go through eight to 10 cloth diapers a day, so we recommend having at least 12-18 on hand. You choose the style. Once your child grows into one-size systems like the bumGenius Freetime or Flip, you will want to have at east 24 diapers in your stash and wash every other day.
Let’s take a step back, though. If you’re unsure about the cloth diapers you should use on a newborn, we suggest bumGenius Newborn Cloth Diapers or Econobum. These ultra-sensitive diapers were created for babies 6-12 pounds. They each have hook and loop closures for ease of use and fit low below the navel to keep the umbilical area dry. bumGenius Newborn Cloth Diapers have built-in inserts, which means no stuffing, and Econobum Newborn Covers fit perfectly over the Econobum organic cotton prefolds and newborn stay-dry liners, which can be found in the Econobum Newborn Kit.
Now that you know which cloth diapers to put on a newborn, let’s actually focus on diapering your baby. Here are a few things to remember:
- Cloth diapering a newborn is a learning experience. You may have a desire to change your baby more frequently than necessary, but that’s okay! Do what you think is best or what seems right. That’s the only way you will learn about your baby and know when it’s time for a new diaper.
- Your baby will pass Meconium in the early days and you CAN still use cloth diapers! Just toss your diapers in the wash, meconium poo and all, and it will come right out. The same goes for BF poo. You can opt to use flushable or fleece liners during this time if you desire.
- Leaks might happen, which is all part of the game. Just make sure you have a good fit around your baby’s legs.
- You don’t HAVE to use bumGenius or Econobum diapers to cloth diaper your baby. You can try prefolds and wraps/covers. Just be sure to know how to fold your prefolds and have other accessories like diaper pins and Snappis available.
- We are here to help. Our customer service team WANTS you to use your cloth diapers correctly and find a routine that works for you. Give us a call if you have any questions at 1-314-892-1855.
To learn more about how to get started with cloth diapers, click here.