Prepping Cloth Diapers
Cotton Babies released new prints and products last week, so it’s only suiting to write a blog post about prepping cloth diapers — especially because a handful of people most likely ordered these items. Prepping cloth diapers is one of the most important steps in getting your cloth diapers ready for use and ensuring maximum absorbency. We’ve come up with a quick list for how you prep bumGenius Freetime, Original Pocket Diaper 5.0, Newborn or Flip Diaper and Econobum One-Size and Newborn Covers, and Stay Dry inserts.
Prepping Cloth Diapers in Six Easy Steps
- Sort your cloth diapers into like colors, just like you would any other laundry.
- Attach the laundry tabs on hook & loop diapers. If snap closure, skip to step 3.
- Once you have your diapers sorted, we recommend washing once with your detergent using a hot wash/cold rinse cycle on your machine.
- Line dry covers.
- Tumble dry bumGenius and Flip inserts on a low or medium heat setting.
- Stuff inserts into pocket style diapers like bumGenius 4.0.
Prepping Cloth Diapers with Natural Fibers
Cloth diapers with natural fibers like bumGenius Elementals, Flip Day and Night Time Inserts, Econobum, Chinese and Indian Prefolds will need to be washed in hot water 3-5 times, drying between each wash to remove all the natural oils found in cotton fabric. By removing these oils, you are making the cotton more absorbent.
Prepping Mama’s Cloth
Always remember to wash bright colored diapers like Clementine, Moonbeam, Ribbit, Zinnia Dazzle, Sassy and the new Artist and Genius Series prints separately. Washing these diapers with like colors for the first six washes will avoid any transfer of dye to other lighter colors. After you wash these darker colored diapers with similar colors for the first few washes, you can wash with other lighter colors to avoid several loads of laundry.
Here are a few other blogs we recommend after you’re done prepping your cloth diapers.