I love cloth diapers. I’m sort of a cloth diaper addict, if you will. I enjoy purchasing them. I enjoy having the cutest new prints and the classic colors that match my baby’s outfits. They’re not viewed as “poop catchers” to me. Sure, that is what they’re intended for and that is their primary function…. But I just see them as something more.
My love for cloth diapers began shortly after discovering bumGenius cloth diapers. The colors were adorable and the prints were just beginning. I noticed them when Jules and Carroll had just come out and at the time – were easily available. I felt that I needed to have every color, every print, in every style that I liked. I worked up a stash full of Flips, 4.0 pockets, and Freetimes. Call me crazy, but I loved them. It was my “mom hobby” – I collected cloth diapers.
Even over the years, my love for them has only grown – but for other reasons. Sure, I still think they’re adorable. And yes, I still collect them (to an extent), but I have found more of an appreciation for their function.
Here are just a few of the many reasons why I love cloth diapers:
1. Affordability. Sure, the upfront cost of cloth diapering can be kind of scary. At first, it does seem like a lot compared to the $30 giant box of disposables, but here’s the thing- can you sell a disposable diaper after your baby has used it? Can you use those disposable diapers on the next baby after they’ve been used? Nope! A stash of cloth diapers can cost anywhere from $100-$800, depending on how many you decide to purchase and what style you find is best for your family. Believe it or not, those cloth diapers can last until your little one begins potty training, whereas disposable diapers can cost up to $1,200 or more through the years! It IS possible to cloth diaper on a budget.
2. Convenience. I know what some people are thinking… “How could cloth diapers be more convenient than something you can just throw away?” Well, I don’t know about you…. But I find it much easier to walk into my laundry room when I’m starting to run out of diapers than to pack up the kids, pack up the diaper bag, get in the car, drive 10 minutes down the road, take all the kids into the store, pay for the diapers and get everyone back into the house. That just feels exhausting!
3. Teachable Moments. My girls are four and five years old. Another reason I love using cloth diapers is because it’s provided me with the opportunity to teach my girls about reducing the amount of trash we through away. They’re currently learning all about “Reduce, Reuse, Recycle” all because of our cloth diapers!
As silly as it sounds, I’ve also used them to help the girls learn their colors. Sure, sometimes they’d use the names of the diapers rather than the actual color… but who doesn’t think it’s kind of cute when a two-year old says, “Look, Mommy! I brought you the Ribbit one!” At that point, I’d simply explain to her that the diaper was green. Maybe she was just an overachiever!
4. NO Blow-outs! Newborn poop is kind of gross. We’ve all seen the pictures of babies with poop literally up their back. Heck, some of us may have even experienced those lovely newborn blow-outs a time or two. It’s not fun. In our cloth diapers, I am pleased to say we have had NO blow-out moments – No poop up the back, no poop where it didn’t belong. Cloth diapers are basically magical. They keep all the poop contained where it should be – in the diaper. Thank goodness for amazing elastics!
5. Community. The community surrounding cloth diapering is nothing short of amazing. I have met some of my best friends because of cloth diapers. It sounds so silly, but it’s true! Some of those friends are purely “internet friends” and some I have actually met in my area. If I didn’t use cloth diapers, I don’t know how I would have met these women. As mamas, themselves, they understand the day-to-day challenges I have being a mom and they can help me get through it. They’ve helped me feel not so alone on my motherhood journey. Join our Cloth Diaper Flash Mob Facebook Group to connect with like-minded moms.
So now that I’ve given a few reasons why I love cloth diapers, tell me… Why do you love cloth diapers? Do you love them because of the colors and prints, because of their convenience or affordability, or have you made them your “mom hobby?”
Comments are closed here.