One of the great things about cloth diapering (besides these reasons, of course!) is that it plays so well into the now-trending “minimalist” way of life. Cloth diapering is SIMPLE, affordable, and significantly reduces waste! It is win-win-win for the minimalist-minded mama! There are, however, some accessories that are – for the most part – necessary to cloth diaper. These include reusable cloth wipes, a diaper pail or large wet bag, and diaper-safe detergent. That’s it! That’s all you’ll need (besides cloth diapers, of course) to successfully cloth diaper your child. This is your cloth diaper accessories guide.
Our bumGenius Flannel Wipes are super-soft, thick, absorbent, and often do the job with just one wipe! They are also great to keep on-hand for wiping messy hands and faces. BabyKicks Washies are another highly-rated brand of cloth wipes. Pair your cloth wipes with bumGenius Bottom Cleaner or Baby Bits Wipes Solution to soothe Baby’s bottom during diaper changes. While waiting for wash day, store your dirty cloth diapers in a diaper pail, like the Cotton Babies Diaper Pail Kit, which includes a large pail, liner, deo-discs, and a carbon filter.
To wash your cloth diapers, start with a good cloth diaper-safe detergent like bumGenius Liquid Laundry Detergent, Mountain Green Free & Clear Detergent, Allen’s Detergent, or Planet Detergent. After washing, hang your cloth diapers to dry using the Honey Can Do Three-Tier Drying Rack or The New Clothesline Company’s DUO or Sparrow Clips.
In addition to the wide variety of diaper styles, colors, and prints, there are a multitude of practical accessories on the market that make cloth diapering convenient, fun, and even stylish. So for those of you who want to add a few extra items to your arsenal to make life easier, organize your diaper gear, or create a totally tricked-out diaper stash: you need not worry! There are plenty of options for you too!
Diaper-fasteners secure the cloth diaper onto Baby, and are helpful when using any kind of prefold diapering system. Popular fasteners include:
- Snappis – clings to the prefold, creating a snug fit to prevent leaks.
- Baby Boingos – a tension-based fastener.
- diaper pins – the traditional way to fasten a diaper.
Doublers add absorbency to the cloth diaper while providing a layer of moisture-wicking protection. They are perfect for overnights or heavy-wetters! Popular brands include:
- bumGenius Stay Dry Doubler to keep Baby’s bottom dry.
- Hemp Babies Diaper Doubler or BabyKicks Hemparoo Joey Buns which uses a hemp/organic cotton blend for superior absorbency.
Diaper liners make diaper clean-up super easy by acting as a barrier between the diaper and the mess. Simply remove during diaper changes, and spray clean! Diaper Liners will also help keep your diapers stain-free, and they are invaluable if you do not own a sprayer. Best-selling brands include:
- bumGenius Stay Dry Liners – Wicks moisture away from baby’s skin with its soft, breathable surface.
- Hemp Babies Raw Silk Liners – Silk is naturally antibacterial, and may keep diaper rash and yeast at bay.
- Bummis Fleece Liners – Great for nighttime comfort.
- Bummis Bio-Soft Liners or Imse Vimse Bio Diaper Liners – If you are looking for a disposable version.
Wet bags: Alternately, you can use a large wet bag in place of the diaper pail. Wet bags come in a variety of sizes, making it the perfect solution for small bathrooms or homes where storage is at a premium. Popular brands of wet bags include:
- Planet Wise
- Logan + Lenora
- Fuzzibuns Hanging Diaper Pail
- bumGenius Outing Wet Bag – which is great for when you’re on-the-go.
Other must-have cloth diaper accessories:
- The bumGenius One-Size Insert Sock, which can also be used with any prefold or insert to provide a dry surface for Baby’s bottom.
- A Spray Pal Splatter Shield or Diaper Dawg Spray Collar can be used in tandem with your diaper sprayer to keep dirty water in the toilet where it belongs, making clean-up even easier!
- The bumGenius Refresher Kit will add years to the life of your diapers when it’s time to replace worn-out aplix or elastic.
Use this cloth diaper accessories guide to help you decide which accessories are right for you! You can also contact Cotton Babies Customer Support at 314-892-1855 for more information about the cloth diaper accessories we carry.
Comments are closed here.